It is a family of different viruses that cause sicknesses extending from the common cough & cold, respiratory problems to more severe diseases. A recently recognized type has caused a recent epidemic of lung illness now called COVID-19. This virus spread from animals to people, and now it is spreading from human to human. The first coronavirus was detected in Wuhan China and now it is spreading in the whole world, more than 450k people are affected worldwide. From the affected people not everyone is dying with it the death rate is only 3%. The survival rate is higher than the death rate. People with Weak immune systems are getting affected with this. This virus is spread through droplets out into the air when a diseased person coughs or sneezes. Normally it cannot travel more than some feet, and they fall onto surfaces in some seconds, this is why social distancing and physical distancing is the most effective way of stopping the spread.
The incubation period for COVID-19 is 14 days, the symptoms are showing in person within these 14 days. The symptoms of this virus are cough, fever, muscle ache, shortage of breath, loss of taste and smell and sore throat. In severe cases, it may cause respiratory problems, failure of kidney or death. The identification of the virus may be challenging with only a physical exam because minor cases of COVID-19 may appear similar to the flu or a bad cold, only a laboratory test can confirm the diagnose of this virus.
To minimize the spread of the new coronavirus and COVID-19, the sickness it causes, there are important steps that can help you to protect yourself, your family and others form this virus.
- It is important to avoid close contact with others.
- Stay home as much as possible, do not go out unless it’s important and lessen visitors.
- Social distancing and physical distancing is most effective.
- Stay six feet away from others in public.
- If you want to contact just call or video call to friends and family.
- Work from home is the safest way to minimize the risk.
- Waer a mask whenever you need to go outside. You can get N95 masks for sale on many websites.
- Avoid meeting people who look sick.
- During off-peak times go for grocery shopping.
- For at least 20 seconds washing your hands with soap and water regularly and thoroughly.
- Avoid touching door handles, shopping carts, elevator buttons, etc. in public places.
- Use hand sanitizer which contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face, especially with unwashed hands.
- Stay home if you feel sick except you are having an emergency such as severe shortness of breath or a very high fever.
There is not such a particular treatment for the virus invented yet. COVID-19 affected people should be treated with supportive methods, people with severe cases, there may be bonus options for the cure that includes research drugs and antidotes. While some of the traditional and homemade medications may provide ease and lessen symptoms of COVID-19. Though, there are some ongoing medical trials that contain both western and traditional medicines. The doctors and medical teams are still working on the vaccine for this virus it may take up to a few months.